Monday, October 22, 2007

My First Sourdough Rye

Isn't is beautiful?? It's a pumpernickel rye and next to it is a plain sourdough sandwich loaf with some cracked wheat for crunch. I love sourdough bread and the idea of using the little yeasties that are floating around naturally. My last starter died from some too curious person messing with it in the fridge but I got a new one last week. After a few feedings I was ready to go.

Rye breads have always given me problems, bad rise, bad texture, less than RYE flavor but I was determined to beat it. The first loaf was a disaster but the second one, traditional shape was good enough to be eaten in two days by the family. This one is sandwich shaped by request and I think it's just lovely.

I started the sponges last night and let them go through the first rise during the Red Sox game. Once I got them shaped and into the pans I covered them and stuck them in the fridge over night to really slow down the second rise, it's supposed to make the bread even more sour. I let them come to temp for a couple hours on the counter this morning then into the oven they went. I was surprised now nicely the rye loaf rose. I'm thinking the fridge trick might be part of it but more experiments are required. Meanwhile I finally got a good rise out of a rye and a sourdough one at that so I'll be doing the happy bread dance for the rest of the afternoon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yummy looking sourdough!