Saturday, May 30, 2009

Moving Right Along

OK, first off I have poison ivy again. I must have leaned against or sat on something that had poison ivy on it when it was still damp from the rain. I have it on the back of my thighs and my rear end. It sucks .... and itches.....and people look at you funny when you scratch your ass at the Home Depot.



I started on the tomato trellis today. It's made from 1 1/2" pvc and is going to be 8 feet high and 20 feet long with 3 support posts in the middle. I decided PVC was ugly so I grabbed a can of that spray paint for plastic, red of course. It has to cure overnight and I wanted to see how it works so I just did the elbows and t's today and the long pipes will go tomorrow. I think it'll be pretty neat looking when it's all done.



I managed to track down a few herbs today that I hadn't been able to find. I got rosemary, bee balm, lemon balm, greek oregano and some lavender. Being the cheapskate I am I split and took cuttings from all the plants. That way I have more than enough to space out among the cinder block holes, share with my sister and pot up.



I finally found a use for the tray with no pot my mom brought over out of Nana's basement. It's an uber tray for the pots with no trays. A few stones and hey it looks pretty cool. The vast majority of what we used to get the garden going was out of Nana's basement. Papa is too old for a large garden and Nana had started reducing her amounts of stuff long before she got sick and passed away. I'm amazed how much I remember from being a kid and helping in Nana's garden, it came back like I had learned it all yesterday. I think she'd be proud of the garden and happy all the stuff got put to good use.

No comments: