Friday, May 8, 2009

It's Almost Time

The tomato plants are looking quite happy and it's almost time to stat hardening them off. Since the basement is naturally about 62 degrees I'm more worried about sun than temperature. That makes it a touch easier as I can leave them out overnight and just move them to progressively sunnier positions over a couple weeks. Unless there's a freeze predicted I can skip the bringing them in at night part which I find to be a pain in the neck.


I'm still going to have to find homes for a bunch of plants since I had 100% germination on the tomato plants and as of now I have no less than 60 of them. Most of them are Romas, I planted Speckled Romans (they're the curly leafed ones) and Martino's Roma as well as some Burpee's Big Boys for my Papa. Even though I'm planning on putting up a lot of tomatoes this year I'm thinking 40 plants tops is all I can manage without losing my mind. So some are going to have to get given away.


I'm putting out the pumpkin seedlings today in my niece's small bed. It's going to be overcast but thankfully not raining so It's a good day to move them along. I might start the sunflowers by the deck as well, it depends on how long the rain holds off, yes there's supposed to be more rain tonight.


Tomorrow we start leveling and filling the last two beds. Now that the evil poison ivy is gone it's safe for people with skin to be over there. I also have to build a dirt mound over the stump and replace the compost bins which got moved during the eradication.

Hubby will be raking out the last of the dead roots and starting the mow down the weeds in the back so we can smother a large area back there over the summer. I got a 20 x 100 foot piece of 6 mil black plastic that should survive at lease one New England winter but I do hope it'll be reusable for another section next year. It's pretty tough stuff and weighs in at almost 60 pounds all rolled up.

No comments: