Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Outside Progress

OK, I know it looks like big wads of dirt but it's actually some major progress. Before I can build the beds the tilling has to be done. It's not hard and I didn't feel like renting a machine plus shovels, rakes and elbow grease are free. We got most of it done in just a couple hours with breaks to take the little monkey across the street to play in her friend's new mini bounce house.
While sis and I were digging the hubbies went off to Home Depot to get some of the other supplies. We're going to need a lot more topsoil to fill the raised beds but this will get us started and 4 bags of manure ought to be more than enough. I've changed a couple things about the raised beds but I've got some pricing and thinking to do before I make a final decision.
The seedlings are coming along nicely. The tomato seedlings are starting to get the first sets of true leaves so they'll need to be transplanted in the next couple days into their own little pots.
My sweet peppers FINALLY germinated and started to sprout. I'm going to start these a couple weeks earlier next year. They're healthy and happy but I would prefer they were further along than they are. I'm not sure why peppers have a reputation for being difficult to grow from seed they're really just SLOW.
This Jurassic looking thing is a spaghetti squash seedling. I hadn't planned on growing them this year but my mother brought down two peat pots with seeds so I'll find a spot for them somewhere. I like them but hubby isn't a big squash guy, if nothing else they may be tempting to my niece who's on a no veggie kick right now.
The leeks are super happy and due for haircuts soon. They can go outside before a lot of other things along plus they're shade tolerant. I'm going to stick them into the smaller bed with the lettuces and beets.I started my cukes inside rather than out because I want them in planters out front. They're odd looking things but we eat a LOT of cukes and we didn't get anywhere near enough in the CSA last year.This is my basil, well some of it. We're planting 3 varieties an Italian, an Asian and Lemon. We use a lot of basil around here and it's a good companion plant so lots and lots of it around the yard is not a problem.

Don't forget to let me know what you're doing in your garden and enter to win a drop spindle just leave a comment to my April 19th post.

No comments: