Thursday, June 4, 2009

Never Take a Toddler to the Garden Center

Seriously. At least not if it's my niece. Kid's weird.

My sis and I went to the Home Depot the other day to pick up some odds and ends and my niece decided to put a couple 6 dollar plants on the cart. We thought "how cute!"

She’s 3 and since they were pretty cheap we let her have them. All I noticed on the tag was perennial and sun or part shade so I figured we could find a place to put them easy enough.

When we got home I read the tags more carefully ….. Boxwood … 3 - 10 FEET! Of course they're also two different varieties. What kind of three year old picks shrubbery over all the pretty flowers in the garden center?! Kid's weird I tell you, weird.... and cute.


After much thought I decided to put the smaller one next to the compost bin. It's a Green Velvet Boxwood so it'll be about 3 feet and on the round side. I might toss in a couple annual flowers in a semicircle to give it a border. For sure I need more mulch to finish the section, and maybe a couple of interesting perennials. I started out wanting a veggie garden and somehow I've ended up also putting in a fairly formal garden with boxwood and blueberries.



I took some new photos of the garden this afternoon. The summer squash is flowering like crazy.

The tomato plants are really going now, and the trellis is mostly built and just needs to be installed.


The dwarf sunflowers the little monkey planted are looking happy.


The Armenian Cukes are coming along, those should be interesting since they're supposed to max out at 3 feet long.


I hope to get a lot done this weekend, at least the blueberry bushes planted, bedded and mulched. If I have enough time I'll clear and clean a spot for the other boxwood.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Your garden is really coming along.

I am envious.