Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Cancer is Not Fun

I'm really annoyed on a lot of levels about a lot of things lately. First off I'm angry with my grandfather, he lied to me. My Nana, at 85, has cancer. They've always been very independent people for their ages and when my mother was going to cancel her vacation to stay home and help them out they refused and told her to go. I wasn't worried, my sisters and our hubbys had a plan and we knew we could handle anything that came up. For six weeks I called every other day and asked Papa do you have clean clothes and groceries, did you get plowed out, does Nana have her meds, etc. I was told over and over that they were fine. The couple times we went over there everything seemed fine. Then mom came home.

She goes over there to discover my Papa has been feeding me a line of complete bullshit. The linnens on the bed haven't been changed, they're out of clean undies and there's rotten food in the fridge. All things easily and quickly remedied, and they were. Yet, my Papa lied to me. I know that they don't want to be a burden to their grandchildren but I called EVERY OTHER DAY to offer help, I was even kind of pushy about it, and he lied to me. I'm pissed.

On the same topic, and I know this sounds hateful, junkies should die. Yep I said die. No rehab, no jail, just do the world a favor and step in front of a train and die. Getting Nana's pain meds is kind of a pain in the neck and it's because of junkies. Here's the thing, junkies rob pharmacies around here so they don't keep some pain meds in stock in volume anymore. You have to call ahead and doctors write small prescriptions with limited refills. It's not that you can't just call the doctor if you need more, you can, it's just hard to explain why that is the process now to someone who's elderly.

My Nana was suffering and doling out her pain pills because she thought she could only have 20 and she should make them last. The idea that she was feeling pain needlessly because some worthless junkies have changed the system for everyone really makes my blood boil. These selfish wastes of space don't just impact themselves or their families, they impact everyone. Even something like Claritin is now behind the counter and requires ID because of junkies. Why should my Nana, myself, or anyone else have to jump through hoops to get needed medication because of these people. I don't buy this "it's a disease" crap, it's just selfishness. Their high is more important to them than anyone or anything else in the same way that a drunk driver's buzz is more important than someone else's life and family. If these people have a disease it's chronic self-centeredness. Rich or poor these people are stuck in me, me, me mode and that's all. It's entrenched in our culture, a sense of entitlement goes with it, and it sucks.

Now that I've vented on to some cheerier things. I made a couple pairs of socks for Nana, she likes my hand knit socks and asked for some because the chemo makes her feel cold. I also finished my first lace shawl and I'm very happy with it.

I've been trying to beat back my yarn stash a bit so I bought a couple of one-ball knitting books. The projects are fast and easy and they use up leftover yarns that are just sitting around. I'll be putting most if them in my Christmas Stash, a hand knit hat or scarf is always a great last minute gift

Also, I made some yummy cupcakes on Monday. I went all out and frosted them with a pastry bag and tip, very pretty. I even put a chocolate button atop each one. I think they're almost bakery-worthy. I love to bake but so much gets tossed because we just don't eat it before it goes stale. I've been sending the extras with hubby to work but I've been busy for a couple weeks and haven't sent anything. Yesterday a co-worker asked where the snacks were, I guess they like them.

No comments: