Monday, June 9, 2008

It's Wicked Hawt So I'm Giving Stuff Away

As well as disgustingly humid and generally gross. It doesn't feel like June at all, more like August. Alas, electricity for the AC is pricey so it stays off until bedtime. I try and keep busy to take my mind off the heat.


First off I finally got a meat grinder. Not one of those fancy schmancy ones, not an attachment for my kitchenaid but an old fashioned hand crank meat grinder. I've been trying to track one down for a while and finally managed to wrangle one. My husband took one look at it and stated that he wasn't cranking it, we'll see how badly he wants what comes out of it.

I need a grinder for a few reasons. First we buy our meat locally from a farm. My sister, parents and I split a whole cow and a whole pig once a year. We get it butchered but some things need a little more work than your basic kitchen supplies. I need the grinder because it also stuffs sausages and hot dogs. Have you priced those lately? I'll make my own and ummm no recalls.

Second, a cow doesn't just come with meat. There's all sorts of other "parts" that you're paying for so you might as well use them up. Organ meat gets cooked, ground and baked into doggy treats. Bones and tail get made into stock for soups, WAY better than canned.

Finally there's the fat. Now pork fat becomes lard, great for pie crust and no transfats. The fat from around the cows organs, suet, becomes tallow. Now neither of these things come easy or quick. Both have to be cleaned and rendered (boiled) so you end up with nice clean stuff at the end. The grinder will help this process immensely. The smaller you can get the pieces the easier it is to render.

I use the tallow, along with some coconut oil, to make one of my favorite house cleaners, soap. Yup plain ole soap grated into flakes. Mix it up with some hot water, maybe a little borax or washing soda and you can clean just about anything. Follow up with a vinegar or water rinse and stuff just shines. OK it's not PLAIN soap, I add tea tree and citrus oils. It smells good, kinda clean. Even hubby likes it. It's green, it cleans, and it smells nice what more could you ask for?

Of course there's a lot of tallow to be had from a whole cow, and it makes a lot of soap. Since we're picking up our annual meat supply in about a month I've got to render out what's left in the freezer from last year and make more soap. Of course I still have a lot of soap left from last time so I've decided to give some away. It's all grated and good to go and I'll ship 1 pound of it to a person chosen at random who posts a comment to this post. The cutoff is June 20th at 5pm.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Interesting....would love to try your soap.

shinz3 at cox dot net

Geek Knitter said...

Home-made soap is the second-best reason for a meat-grinder I can think of... the first is the sausages!

Opinion Mommy said...

It never would occur to me to make soap from the cow's fat. I wonder if you could do this with the fat from wild game.

wuogkat said...

Ooooooh soap! The handmade stuff is so much nicer!

Black Sheep Spinster said...

Tallow and beeswax makes nice candles too.

Amy said...

I love the homemade soap and am slightly jealous of your warm weather! It is still grey, cold, and wet here! :)

StepNurse said...

Wow...you learn something new every day. I've never used homemade soap, believe it or not!

spotts71 said...

I would be very interested in finding out the difference between tallow and lard. Is it the animal that makes the difference. I like the idea of tea tree oil in soap. I use tea tree in everything and on everything. Great info.